Welcome Ākonga and Whānau

 Hello!

My name is Sophie, also known as Miss Bowie. I am very excited to be embarking on a new adventure at St Marys this year, after teaching for 4 years at Kawaha-Point School. My passions include playing netball, exploring new places, spending time with my friends and whānau, eating lots of delicious food, and of course, teaching. I am currently training for a half-marathon, which I will be running with Miss Lovegrove (If I can keep up with her long legs!). Throughout my early teaching years, I have had many “wow moments” with my students, which are memories I will treasure forever. I cannot wait to create more precious memories this year in rooms 14 and 15. 



Kia Ora Tatou!


I’m Tai, but in the class setting I am known as Mrs YTT, mama, and yes, sometimes nana. Teaching makes me feel like a rock star (which is probably what I want to be when I grow up). Every day, I have children run up to me, giving me hugs, calling my name over and over again as they hear me rocking with our class guitar, Jack. I adore the children I teach and learning new things from them. I am so excited to be their teacher this year.





At St Marys, we have an open-door policy and aim to have a high whānau presence in the classroom. Please, if you have any good news to share about your child, questions, or concerns, come and see us either before or after school. Alternatively, you can email Sophie at sophiebowie@stmarysrotorua.school.nz or Tai at taiw@stmarysrotorua.school.nz 


How we are going to 'roll' this year


This year we will be co-teaching and operating as a combined classroom space. Tai and I have experienced this teaching and learning style in previous classrooms, which we found effective and fun.


Benefits of collaborative teaching and combined learning spaces include:

  • each teacher brings a unique range of strengths to the classroom, thus exposing the students to a range of quality teaching practices.

  • it allows for efficient, differentiated grouping in reading, writing, maths, and other learning areas.

  • Students have the opportunity to build quality relationships with a wider range of students as well as another teacher.  


We have 3 wonderful spaces in our classroom for children to enjoy. We have a range of facilities and resources to help consolidate new learning for our children, as well as promote critical thinking and creativity.


As we are a combined class, we would love to have 1 name that represents our unique space and learners. This will be a decision we make as a class, but if you have any ideas, please comment or send us an email.


Friendly reminders:


Students are required to bring stationary with them on Tuesday 9th February. Details about stationery can be found on https://www.stmarysrotorua.school.nz/2021-stationery-packs/


We have a new school app. You can install and set up this app from School Apps NZ then search for St Mary's Catholic School Rotorua. Make sure you set up for the notifications you wish to receive. Alternatively, you can go to this link https://schoolappsnz.co.nz/install/ and search for St Mary’s Catholic School Rotorua


All students need to bring their sun hats from the start of the school term, until further notice.


Swimming will start this term, which is a compulsory activity. Students will need to bring their togs, towels, and goggles.


We are looking forward to seeing you all on our first day of school on Tuesday 9th February. Until then, stay safe and continue being awesome!


Sophie Bowie and Tai Waititi.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Week 9 Term 4

Welcome to Week 7 Term 4